Re: [Hampshire] Enabling Secure Boot

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Enabling Secure Boot
On 09/07/13 12:02, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hello chums,
>
> I have a Novatech laptop, bought maybe 3 months ago. It came with no
> operating system. I installed Windows 7 on it for a project which
> needed Windows, but now want to install Linux on it.
>
> I've got Fedora 18 install media on a USB stick, but when I try to
> boot the installer I get the message: "Secure boot not enabled"/
>
> A little research suggests that Novatech machines do have Secure Boot
> enabled on machines with Windows 8 preinstalled. However I can't see
> in the BIOS any way to enable it.
>
> Anyone had a similiar issue? Or any ideas how to enable this?
> Perhaps from the UEFI shell?
>
> --
> Stephen Nelson-Smith
> Technical Director
> Atalanta Systems Ltd
> www.atalanta-systems.com <http://www.atalanta-systems.com>

Hi Stephen,

There are two interpretations of that message that come to mind.

One is that Fedora 18 is expecting a secure boot UEFI/BIOS and doesn't
find it.

More likely (IMHO .. but I could very easily be wrong) is that the
UEFI/BIOS is expecting software with a signature and Fedora doesn't have
one.

On my ASUS notebook, I turned off secure booting and was then able to
install, but then I can't remember what messages I had.

There's a utility called Boot-Repair that might also be useful.