Re: [Hampshire] Enabling Secure Boot

Author: Stephen Nelson-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Enabling Secure Boot
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> That's not an error message, it's an informational message to tell you
> secure boot has not been enabled on the device. This may be considered a
> Good Thing (TM). Is Fedora not booting past that message?

It doesn't go beyond the message. I see:

Booting `Fedora 18'
Secure boot not enabled
-

And nothing happens after this.

Incidentally, trying to boot a Debian CD or an Archlinux image is similarly
ineffective. With Debian, I get the splash screen, I select Install, I see
another smaller, rectangular slash appear in the middle of the screen, such
that the previous one is still visible, and then after about 20 seconds the
screen goes blank, and I see nothing else.

With Archlinux I get the same blank screen after trying to boot the
installer. The archwiki suggests trying "nomodeset", which I tried, to no
effect. The debian grub line includes a vga=788 line, which would suggest
the installer doesn't try to use KMS.

Thoughts?

S.