[Hampshire] Filing system for USB back disk?

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Filing system for USB back disk?
Hello Folks

What's the current thinking regarding the best filing system to use for
an external USB backup disk?

My client has two backup disks, formatted with ext3, and swaps them over
from time to time. They are mounted via autofs, and rsnapshot creates
the backups.

Occasionally something gets stuck -- perhaps because the user unplugs
the drive in mid-backup.

That happened today, and currently I've got fsck running -- so far it's
found illegal blocks in a couple of inodes, and lots of multiply-claimed
blocks.

Is ext3 still the best choice? Are other filing systems more robust in
this situation?

I realise that no filing system can be indestructible, but I thought I'd
ask in case this turns out to be an 'opportunity' to change the filing
system.

cheers

Chris
--