[Hampshire] USB memory stick corrupted

Author: Roger Munford
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] USB memory stick corrupted
I installed Ubuntu on a friends pretty old PC. He has a laptop for work
and the PC was not used for much and he was interested in giving Linux a
whirl.

It all went well but a week later he phoned to say that two memory
sticks (fat32 KINGSTON DT100 G2) were corrupted by Ubuntu. He tried
reading and then formatting with . He sent them to me and they won't
mount with "can't read superblock.

I suspect that the he didn't eject before removing (he is away so I
cannot ask). However I assume that whatever happened, it was his normal
procedure with windows.

I have never had a problem with USB sticks. Is there anything about
Ubuntu that could cause this.

I cannot format the disk and am trying testdisk but so far it seems that
little can be done. Is it worth persevering? The data isn't important,
perhaps the experience will be.

Thanks

Roger