Re: [Hampshire] [OT] 35mm slide scanning

Author: Chris Dennis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] 35mm slide scanning
On 16/03/13 10:34, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I friend on mine has a lot of old 35mm slides they wish to scan into computer.
> Apparently they have a lot, so taking them into a shop to do the
> scanning is too expensive.
> Does anyone have any knowledge of how to do this in a simple way.
> Maybe some USB attached device? What sort of quality will the scan be?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James

The quality can be as good as you are willing to pay for -- dedicated
slide scanners are quite expensive. There are also adapters that allow
you to photograph a slide with a digital camera, but the quality you get
would not be as good as a scanner.

Probably the best scanner software to use is Vuescan, which runs on
Linux but is not free.

Whichever way you do it, the main investment will be time: it's a very
tedious process, involving dust removal, colour correction, cloning out
blemishes...

cheers

Chris
--