Re: [Hampshire] USB memory stick corrupted

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB memory stick corrupted
On Saturday 16 Mar 2013 19:18:07 Roger Munford wrote:

> I suspect that the he didn't eject before removing (he is away so I
> cannot ask).

A mid-write removal can do wierd things. It's quite possible that either the
file system or partition table is trashed.

> I cannot format the disk and am trying testdisk but so far it seems that
> little can be done. Is it worth persevering? The data isn't important,
> perhaps the experience will be.

Have you tried rebuilding the partition table with fdisk and then rebuilding
the FS with mkfs?

I suspect this is a case of lack of familiarity with the OS, rather than a
problem with the OS itself.

Cheers,

Tim B.
--