Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
On 15/03/13 22:38, john lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:07:09 +0000
> Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
>

>> I didn't think so Leshy, but before criticising the (so far)
>> excellent novel that it cropped up in, I just wanted to check with
>> some folks who I knew would have the answer to hand.
>>
>> There were a couple of other inaccuracies too, relating to Internet
>> cafes and Linux boxes but I will bite my tongue on those and finish
>> the book.
>>
>> The author in question is a pretty tech-savvy and generally smart
>> guy, hence the question, but I shouldn't have doubted my intuition on
>> that one.
> I too had similar thoughts when I read the book, the author knows too
> much about Linux to have written that without knowing he was writing
> 'nonsense' but I guess he is aware that there will be many windows
> users reading it who will expect several reboots following installation
> of a techy package like an anonomizer.
>
> The thing that worried me more though were the right wing attitudes
> of members of the main character's family and the implicit gun culture
> that involved.

Hi John,

Yes, interesting points there.

Regarding the whole right wing thing I am undecided as to whether he is
merely writing about or promoting it as a 'good thing'. I still have a
way to go with the book yet - 100 pages or so - so I will hold back on
that one.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt it is fair to say that it is a very
real phenomenon and as such worthy of literary exploration, plus he has
created a number of disturbingly likeable anti-heros in this story, so
maybe the 2nd Amendment types simply fit into the picture along with he
rest of the misfits and oddballs?

I'm still reading (and enjoying) it by the way - I should be done by
tonight or tomorrow morning!

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk