Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:07:09 +0000
Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:

> I didn't think so Leshy, but before criticising the (so far)
> excellent novel that it cropped up in, I just wanted to check with
> some folks who I knew would have the answer to hand.
>
> There were a couple of other inaccuracies too, relating to Internet
> cafes and Linux boxes but I will bite my tongue on those and finish
> the book.
>
> The author in question is a pretty tech-savvy and generally smart
> guy, hence the question, but I shouldn't have doubted my intuition on
> that one.

I too had similar thoughts when I read the book, the author knows too
much about Linux to have written that without knowing he was writing
'nonsense' but I guess he is aware that there will be many windows
users reading it who will expect several reboots following installation
of a techy package like an anonomizer.

The thing that worried me more though were the right wing attitudes
of members of the main character's family and the implicit gun culture
that involved.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server