Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
On 15/03/13 17:22, Victor Churchill wrote:

> I'd concur with all the comments above. Loved Cryptonomicon, and also
> the Baroque Cycle, in differnet ways. I actually thought REAMDE,
> whilst being a good romp, was a bit flat in comparison; devent yarn
> but did not have the depth and the quasi-fractal excursions of the others.

I'd largely agree with you there Victor. REAMDE is a geek's Alastair
MacLean / Hammond Innes style romp that just builds and builds. It lacks
the charm of Cryptonomicon but has generated some incredible action
scenes and some thoroughly engaging characters.

> I thought Anathem was extraordinary too. I've only read that one once
> so far and it will definitely get read again.

Yes, that was a real change of style and pace for him and real
slow-burner that really drew me in.

> Stephenson has managed to do somethjing totally different from all his
> previous books each time he brings out a new title (apart from the
> Baroque trilogy, of course). And SNOW CRASH remains an absolute classic.

Indeed, I loved the whacky almost cartoon-like characters and far-out
scenarios that Snow Crash created. The Baroque trilogy was a bit of a
slog - a bit like a trudge upa steep mountain with patches of cloud that
cleared to reveal amazing views - hard work and rewarding in the end.

Have you tried any of the 'Mongoliad' series yet? It's a collaborative
effort with Greg Bear (among others) that reads surprisingly smoothly
given the varied input, and centres around 13th century martial arts
across Europe and Asia. Available cheap on Kindle, I read them on my
smartphone (the first time I have done this) and thoroughly enjoyed the
first two, and now have the third queued up and ready to go.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk