Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
On 15 March 2013 13:44, Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:

> On 15/03/13 13:10, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
>
>> The author in question is a pretty tech-savvy and generally smart guy,
>>> hence
>>> the question, but I shouldn't have doubted my intuition on that one.
>>>
>> At a guess, some newish Neal Stephenson novel?
>>
>> /me currently reading Cryptonomicon on and off.
>>

> Correct on the author Imran!
>
> I am reading REAMDE, which is so far proving to be an excellent thriller,
> but with 200 pages left to go out of 1000 or so there is time for it to
> crash and burn, so I will reserve judgement on it until I have finished it.
>
> I loved Cryptonomicon, and also quite enjoyed the related Baroque Cycle,
> despite it being quite a slog in places.

I'd concur with all the comments above. Loved Cryptonomicon, and also the
Baroque Cycle, in differnet ways. I actually thought REAMDE, whilst being a
good romp, was a bit flat in comparison; devent yarn but did not have the
depth and the quasi-fractal excursions of the others.

I thought Anathem was extraordinary too. I've only read that one once so
far and it will definitely get read again.

Stephenson has managed to do somethjing totally different from all his
previous books each time he brings out a new title (apart from the Baroque
trilogy, of course). And SNOW CRASH remains an absolute classic.

Probaly my Desert Island author.

--
best regards,

Victor Churchill,