Re: [Hampshire] Advice please: disk bottle neck

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice please: disk bottle neck

> It's very slow to do some things (e.g. shut down chrome or the Gimp)
> and the xfce disk monitor shows the disk as 100% 'busy' but hardly
> shifting any data.

It's worth checking that this isn't retried I/O; first listen to the disk
for any repetitive clicking. Modern disks are rather difficult to hear,
though.

Are you running smartd? Turn it all on and check to see if you're getting
any errors reported.

> I assume it's busy doing small reads scattered all over the disk.

If it is, you might be able to sort it.

> The system partition is the first on the disk after the swap area and
> is only 13Gig long. It's about 50% used and is ext4.

Do you have any unallocated space on the disk? It might be worth
duplicating the partition and using that one instead.

Vic.