[Hampshire] Advice please: disk bottle neck

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Advice please: disk bottle neck
Hi,

** DETAILS

I use an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 for my main PC (dual core 1.8Gig, 2Gig
memory, WD3200BEVT 320Gig SATA HDD)

I'm running xubuntu 12.10 at the moment.

It's very slow to do some things (e.g. shut down chrome or the Gimp)
and the xfce disk monitor shows the disk as 100% 'busy' but hardly
shifting any data. There is almost no cpu load. The memory is only 50%
used so it's not thrashing but it has that sort of feel. I assume it's
busy doing small reads scattered all over the disk.

The system partition is the first on the disk after the swap area and
is only 13Gig long. It's about 50% used and is ext4.

** QUESTION

Anything I can try to speed things up or learn more about what's going on?

TIA, Peter

PS I have a USB adapter on order from China for a 32Gig UDMA CF card I
have. Thought I might try it as an SSD!