Re: [Hampshire] Advice please: disk bottle neck

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List, Alan Pope
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice please: disk bottle neck

Alan Pope <alan.pope@???> wrote:

>On 07/03/13 22:44, Peter Salisbury wrote:
>> PS I have a USB adapter on order from China for a 32Gig UDMA CF card
>> have. Thought I might try it as an SSD!

I wouldn't be surprised if this combination didn't perform especially well or speak for the lifetime of the card. Devices marketed as SSDs will have advanced wear leveling and also should support SMART so you should hopefully get some warning before the device goes south. I don't know if you will get this with a card.

>I put a real SSD in my Revo. Well, I put an SSD in basically every
>machine I own :)
>
>It makes a tremendous difference.

+1 for that. I have an OCZ Agility 3 SSD in my laptop and if I change it back to a spinning disc for testing the machine suddenly feels like a dog.

Cheers,
Paul.
--
Sent from Kaiten Mail on Android. Please excuse my brevity.