Re: [Hampshire] Improving Home Broadband Talk - Follow Up

Author: James Bensley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Improving Home Broadband Talk - Follow Up
Hi (again) all,

I had some questions on contention;

Two great articles you can read on contention are these two;

http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-contention.html
http://www.beyondbroadband.coop/book/export/html/65

The main point to take from this is that contention isn't always bad
perse, just given the raw ratio; you need to know what it is relation
two (what speed each end users is promised and what speed the link
they all share is). Also note that contention isn't really an issue
any more. A few years ago before I started learning about the various
DSL technologies used to delivered broadband I had this discussion
with ISP engineer from various ISP :
http://null.53bits.co.uk/index.php?page=conversation-on-contention-ratios

This is still valid now. BT have moved away from selling on contention
ratios and now opt for an "assured minimum service level", i.e. on
broadband package X you should always get 500Kbps, even at peak times.

Kind regards,
James.