Re: [Hampshire] APC UPS advice please

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] APC UPS advice please
On Thursday 07 Mar 2013 15:24:55 Martin N wrote:
> After an hours charge i get 4.8V but that could be corrosion on connectors
> or my cheapo multimeter.
>
> So if the UPS dead?
> battery dead?
>
> How long does the lead acid battery last in storage?
>
> Any advice on how i can test things further?
>
> thanks for your time
>
> Martin N

Martin,

I have aquired a Belkin unit with very identical symptoms. In my case one
battery terminal had actually corroded and fallen off, so it was a pretty
simple fault to find. Typically, the Lead acid batteries used will be 6Volt or
12Volt, sometimes wired in series to give 24Volts. Disconnect the battery(ies)
and measure the voltage across them. If you are move than about two volts from
the typical values above, it's likely that the battery is dead and needs
replacement.

There are places which sell replacement batteries on the web at reasonable
prices.

Cheers,

Tim B.
--