Re: [Hampshire] APC UPS advice please

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] APC UPS advice please
Hi,

On 07/03/13 16:58, Martin N wrote:

> After looking at that manual, I have tried pressing it in but it
> doesn't stick/latch on to anything.
>
> Its not stiff so to me the circuit breaker is reset but i am
> inexperienced so cant be fully confident.
>
> Martin N
>
> Owner of the bwfc yahoogroup and Co-Moderator of MiniDisc and
> amithlonopen yahoo groups.

This may be a really silly thing but my experience of UPS breakages on
the road is that the most common fault is blown fuses. Most of our
UPSes, in addition to the pop-breaker, have a small fuse holder built
into the IEC inlet, the power cord and some also on the motherboard. If
the USP gets seriously overloaded this fuse will often blow before (or
at the same time as) the breaker pops.

The usual scenario is that the hotel cleaner comes in, can't find a
socket for the Hoover, sees this power strip, plugs in... Pop.
beep.beep. Sneaks out and you have a dead UPS that won't charge when you
plug it in. I know it's daft but it fixes 90% of the broken units people
bring to me.

Cheers,
Paul.