Re: [Hampshire] HP Ubuntu All-in-one

Author: Mike Dwerryhouse
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP Ubuntu All-in-one
On 03/06/2013 01:16 PM, Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:58:33 +0000, James Courtier-Dutton
> <james.dutton@???> wrote:
>> On 6 March 2013 12:56, Samuel Penn <sam@???> wrote:
>>> Shame it's rubbish.
>>>
>>> 20″ HD+ widescreen WLED (1600 x 900)
>>>
>>> Laptops are bad enough, but why did anything think that such a low
>>> resolution on a desktop was a good idea?
>>
>> I agree. It seems strange that the resolution on phones is getting so
>> good, and the resolution on laptops and desktops is getting worse?
>> With your 10Mega Pixel cameras, surely you need laptop and desktop
>> screens being much better than they see to be right now.
>
> Just this second got around to read Linus' comments about the new Google
> Chromebook. 13" screen, with a resolution of 2560 x 1700.
>
> That's a decent resolution (and it's even 4:3, for those who don't like
> widescreen). Since Linus wants to get one, probably won't be long before
> full Linux is running on it.

You can already do that, with some tinkering - you have to put in
developer mode
first, to be able to boot something other than signed Chrome OS.

I found an account somewhere by someone who put Mint on it. It needs drivers
for the trackpad and touchscreen, which are available but aren't in the
distros yet.