Re: [Hampshire] What Graphics Card?

Author: Paul Freeman
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What Graphics Card?
Hi Mark,

On 2013-02-09 10:35, mark@??? wrote:

> I don't buy stuff like this very often, so I'm hoping someone who has
> done so recently can point me in the right direction. I do a fair
> bit
> of gaming, but I'm not die hard. Skyrim is the most recent game I
> have, and I'm happy with the performance I get on that out my current
> card. Something mid-range would suit me, around the £50 mark.

I have been running an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560ti (Asus card, I know not
a £50 one!) without any issues for ~12 months now and other Nvidia cards
in years previously. I'm on Gentoo but use Ubuntu now and again too. I
Gnome 3 on both without any issues (no Unity fan here!). now and again
I'll also boot into Windows 7 to play the odd game (tends to be Settlers
7 atm :)

> I also have no particular loyalty to AMD or NVidia. The reason I
> ended up with an AMD card is that when I built the PC, Nvidia cards
> had problems with KWin's compisting (I've since switched to Unity, so
> this is no longer a consideration). Are there any pitfalls regarding
> common issues with a manufacturer's drivers that I should be aware
> of?

Despite the minor issues (lack of KMS/native console) the Nvidia
proprietary drivers are pretty good on the whole and still outstrip the
Nouveau open source Nvidia driver in the OpenGL department - although
things are progressing and hopefully we'll see further improvements with
kernel 3.8+. I my experience Nvidia tend to get fixes pushed out pretty
quick for the linux driver and often have beta's available on their
forums if you like to tinker!

> My current investigations have led me to consider the NVidia Geforce
> 630[1]. If anyone has good or bad experience with this in
> particular,
> or would recommend a different card with a similar spec, I'd be very
> grateful.

Anything in the 500/600 series is pretty good to be honest, you can get
a run down of relative performances on Nvidia's GeForce site:
http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/compare-buy-gpus

Paul