[Hampshire] What Graphics Card?

Author: mark
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] What Graphics Card?
Hi All,
I've just upgraded by desktop to Ubuntu to 12.10 and come across the
wonderful fact that AMD/ATI now consider my Radeon HD 3000 series
graphics card "legacy" and dont provide drivers for the Xorg version
that 12.10 uses. As such, I'm now running an odd setup with a
downgraded Xorg and patched driver, which is far from ideal going
forward. Time for a new graphics card.

I don't buy stuff like this very often, so I'm hoping someone who has
done so recently can point me in the right direction. I do a fair bit
of gaming, but I'm not die hard. Skyrim is the most recent game I have,
and I'm happy with the performance I get on that out my current card.
Something mid-range would suit me, around the £50 mark.

I also have no particular loyalty to AMD or NVidia. The reason I ended
up with an AMD card is that when I built the PC, Nvidia cards had
problems with KWin's compisting (I've since switched to Unity, so this
is no longer a consideration). Are there any pitfalls regarding common
issues with a manufacturer's drivers that I should be aware of?

My current investigations have led me to consider the NVidia Geforce
630[1]. If anyone has good or bad experience with this in particular,
or would recommend a different card with a similar spec, I'd be very
grateful.

Cheers
Mark

[1]