Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:54:44 +0000
Lisi <hantslug@???> wrote:

> On Monday 28 January 2013 10:36:26 john lewis wrote:
> > Even Debian, which used to have a reputation for being
> > difficult  to get running, is nowadays a breeze.
> >
> > (It took about ten minutes to get a minimal install of Wheezy up and
> > running on an aopen Xcube box a few weeks ago
>
> You clearly have entirely open hardware!! Now that the installation
> kernel has *no* binary blobs, Debian is back to being sometimes a bit
> tricky. There is, of course, an unofficial installation disk which
> has proprietary drivers, and you can have a particular driver
> available on a USB key. But I would not call it a breeze any more.

I have no idea how linux compatible the xcube box is. My existing
'server' died after quite a few years of service, probably motherboard
failure so I looked on ebay for something cheap to replace it - the
xcube box was on offer for £40, it had a reasonable spec as far as
memory, speed, etc were concerned and had no OS installed. It arrived
two days after I ordered it and I had it up and running about half an
hour after the courier delivered it.

I used a Debian wheezy netinst CD that I'd downloaded recently to give
the updated installer a try out and it worked perfectly. As usual I
only installed the basic minimum to get a bootable system, added a few
extras, geneweb for example and that was it.

I like the system, it seems reasonably fast, it is silent and is
small enough to sit on top of the desk in an otherwise unused corner.
I haven't even looked inside the box ;-)

Oh yes, nearly forgot - I did modify the /etc/apt/sources.list to
include the "non free" packages before the installer went off looking
for stuff to download.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server