Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking

Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking
Hi Ally,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 03:15:13PM +0000, Ally Biggs wrote:
> This is why I haven't attended any meets as I know I would be out of my depth. Or talks would be given on subjects I'm not interested In and would be bored senseless.

Conversely I think that many people (myself included) are put off
from doing presentations because they feel they aren't expert enough
in any area to pitch something of interest.

I'm not sure what the answer is.

> A making the transition from windows to Linux workshop would be very popular covering areas such as installation. Beginners guide to the Cli, package management etc.

I do think that the rest of the LUG needs to know there is a demand
for this sort of thing at the time that the meetings are being
planned, so that we have time to plan a talk or a round table or
whatever.

This does rely on newbies speaking up (at least on a wiki page or
similar) when the meetings are being planned. Traditionally this
does not happen.

Cheers,
Andy