Re: [Hampshire] Scamming call

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Scamming call
I got one of these calls about 10 days ago. Strangely, it was on my
mobile. These calls pretty well always have 'number withheld' on Caller
ID but because I was roaming internationally, their caller ID showed up.
I found that the number 'belongs' to one of the companies that operates
the 0891 Sex Chatlines. Now, these people have had a proper complaints
procedure placed on them by OfCom so I complained.

It turned out that the number had been 'hacked' and they were themselves
being scammed by a team that had members in Chennai, Moscow and Rio.

The bad side is that I still had to pay the £1.50 a minute to receive
the call in Jordan. I was only using my UK number because my local
jordanian number had run out of credit. That will teach me not to keep
it topped up.

'Samuel', the person on the other end could not get it round his head
that I was more than 2000 miles from the computer that was supposedly
infected. Naturally, he declined to give me a number that would allow me
to ring him back.

By pure coincidence, I'm off to Chennai tomorrow for a couple of weeks.
I will most certainly be investigating the 'Microsoft Office' that made
the call at some point in this trip.

Stephen D