Re: [Hampshire] Box on last legs

Author: Chris Edsall
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Box on last legs
Hi,

> Yeah on windoze boxes I run prime95 in conjunction with speed fan and
> push the system to 100% processing power. Is there a Linux equivalent
> of this? Or a tool that can be run from a live Distro I'm intrigued
> :)

I've used stress before to chew up a known amount of RAM. I haven't
used it to diagnose hardware problems.

$ aptitude show stress
Package: stress
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 1.0.1-1build1
'stress' is a tool that imposes a configurable amount of CPU, memory,
I/O, or
disk stress on a POSIX-compliant operating system and reports any
errors it
detects.

'stress' is not a benchmark. It is a tool used by system
administrators to
evaluate how well their systems will scale, by kernel programmers to
evaluate
perceived performance characteristics, and by systems programmers to
expose the
classes of bugs which only or more frequently manifest themselves when
the
system is under heavy load.

Linpack which is a component of the HPC Challenge is the classic test
in high performance computing and is known to chew up the power. It
needs ATLAS and an MPI implementation as dependencies.

$ aptitude show hpcc
Package: hpcc
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 1.4.1-2
The High Performance Computing (HPC) Challenge benchmark runs a suite
of 7
tests that measure the performance of CPU, memory and network for HPC
clusters.
Amongst others, it includes the High-Performance LINPACK (HPL)
benchmark, used
by the Top500 ranking (http://www.top500.org/).
Homepage: http://icl.cs.utk.edu/hpcc/

Cheers,