Re: [Hampshire] Box on last legs

Author: Chris Liddell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Box on last legs

There's a suite of CPU stressing utilities available on Ubuntu called
"CPUburn".

FWIW, I've seen the very similar symptoms to those you described from an
overheating CPU, faulty RAM, faulty/overheating video adapter, or a
faulty PSU. In theory, anything that requires heat dissipation or
handles voltage regulation could be a culprit.

My money would be on the PSU, base on my past experience.

Having said that, since you're using Ubuntu, my suggested first step
would be to leave it running memtest86 for a few hours.

Chris