Re: [Hampshire] Best hardware for HTPC

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Best hardware for HTPC
On 7 January 2013 13:11, Peter Salisbury
<peterthevicar@???> wrote:

> With regard to blu-ray: if 'they' don't want me to use it then I
> won't, I find all this 'you may have bought it but we'll tell you how
> to use it' stuff SO annoying. In any case it seems like more money for
> not much improvement, especially given my increasingly fuzzy
> eye-sight!

Regarding Blu-Ray, I just find it frustrating.
MakeMKV can be used, but it uses illegal blu ray keys, so you might as
well just use illegal blu ray keys anyway. Google the VideoLan project
to find blu ray keys that permit you to play Blu-Ray.
The bit that really frustrates me, is I can purchase a legal blu-ray
player, play Blu-Rays discs in it, and then one Blu-Ray disc might
come along, and render the Blu-Ray player useless. To the point where
the player will then refuse to play all your old Blu-Ray discs.
The only fix is to hope that the blu-ray player manufacturer bothers
to release a firmware upgrade.
You then have to download and install the firmware before you can play
all your blu-ray discs again.

I don't tend to use blu-ray any more.
If you do want to use it, many different players, like videolan, myth,
xine can play them.
The videolan web site has links to the latest blu-ray keys, so it
should always keep playing all the blu-ray discs you see.