Re: [Hampshire] Best hardware for HTPC

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Best hardware for HTPC
On 7 January 2013 08:41, Michael Pavling <pavling@???> wrote:
> On 7 January 2013 01:34, paul@???
> <paul@???> wrote:
>>
>> one might consider buying a copy of MakeMKV for Linux. It costs about £50.
>> That would allow the lucky owner to rip the content of the BluRay to their
>> hard drive as an unencrypted MKV file. Handbrake would turn any unencrypted
>> file into a lovely M4V file that OpenELEC would lap up and would be well
>> within the capacity of that hardware to play.
>

> FWIW OpenElec/XBMC plays MKV files perfectly happily, so no need to recode
> them (and on a Raspberry Pi too, so if that'll handle the file, any hardware
> will :-)

Thank you all for your very helpful comments and recommendations -
where else can you get such a fantastic response? It looks like I
definitely have a project to contemplate.

With regard to blu-ray: if 'they' don't want me to use it then I
won't, I find all this 'you may have bought it but we'll tell you how
to use it' stuff SO annoying. In any case it seems like more money for
not much improvement, especially given my increasingly fuzzy
eye-sight!

Thanks everyone, Peter