Re: [Hampshire] CoderDojo Southampton?

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CoderDojo Southampton?
On Sunday 09 Dec 2012 15:43:43 Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> I've recently become aware of this "CoderDojo" thing from an article
> in the Guardian [0]
>
> It got me thinking on how great it would be if Southampton had one of
> these. I have been reading the website and "Getting started" guide [1]
> and it all looks doable.

I have spoken to STEMNET about supporting local schools who are interested in
software and tech, and they seemed to be interested. Quite a few schools are
already doing after-school programming-type activities, so I think it's best
to offer support for this within the current HantsLUG structure. I need to
chase it up again, but it is really down to the teachers and students to make
use of it.

> For me, I'm thinking I have too many family and personal commitments
> to give this a go as a mentor... but I thought I'd put it out there
> just in case anyone is interested? It's something I am still thinking
> about so who knows.

Yep, me too, weekly mentoring isn't likely to happen in person, but as a LUG
we do have a mailing list. I am happy to visit schools and give talks about
how I use technology and software in a maritime setting, about what the LUG
can offer, and what STEM means for the next generation.

> One challenge is lack of weekly venue perhaps, something the
> Southampton Hackspace people seem to be having too [2].

Ah, that's a problem, especially when you start specifying requirements. We
are very lucky to have simple requirements and have a useful "man on the
inside"tm

If anyone wants to get into helping out schools, talk to STEMNET
http://www.stemnet.org.uk/ and consider becoming an ambassador.

Cheers,

Tim B.
--