Re: [Hampshire] An interesting rsync problem

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] An interesting rsync problem
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:36:05 -0000, linux@??? said:

> Sorry - I'm afraid there is such a thing as a possessive apostrophe as
> well as an abbreviative apostrophe.

Of course: no one is denying that.

> The town of Farnborough has a clock house at its' centre is the
> correct use.

Absolutely not. The possessive apostrophe comes after the "s" for plurals:
"The girls' father" (assuming two or more girl). "It" is singular, so the
apostrophe would not follow the "s" anyway.

However, all that is moot: the possessive form of "it" is "its", with no
apostrophe.

Citations:

"Its' is never correct."
(http://www.businesswritingblog.com/business_writing/2006/05/its_its_or_its_.html).
Admittedly that is a US website.

"And there is no English word spelled *its' — this is another common error
for its.)" -
http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/department/docs/punctuation/node22.html

> Trust me - my uncle worked for the OED.

Or trust me: I know what I'm talking about (which is no more valid than
who your uncle's employer was).
--
We're looking for smart Linux people:
http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk/jobs