Re: [Hampshire] Updating Fedora

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Updating Fedora

> I generally prefer the CLI for updating, and general packages management -
> but
> I haven't got my head round yum, and the course says to use GUI tools.

Courses tend to do GUI stuff. The CLI is actually much nicer, IMO.

Here's a top tip: if you want to use yum, use the yum shell. You start it
with "sudo yum shell", and it allows you to keep typing commands without
having to restart yum each time. It's a *little* buggy (loses your current
transaction list if you do a search), and very poorly-documented, but
still worth playing with...

> I did try to look up updating with yum, but all the references I found
> talked about upgrading - and seemed to mean upgrading!

A full-on distro upgrade is performed with a tool called "preupgrade".
It's quite good - but makes big assumptions about things like the size of
your /boot partition.

Typing "yum upgrade" just brings all packages up to current. Typing "yum
upgrade foo" brings package foo up to current.

> I must say, and I hate to admit it, but Fedora looks quite enticing so
> far.

I like many things about Fedora. I dislike the new desktop, but I've been
very successful rebuilding Gnome2 for Fedora, and MATE has a repository
ready to supply pre-rolled RPMs. I'm planning to give that a go this week
:-)

> I must look at CentOS again too.

It does the job nicely :-)

Vic.