Re: [Hampshire] Updating Fedora

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Updating Fedora
On Tuesday 23 October 2012 16:35:05 john lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:11:22 +0100 (BST)
>
> "Vic" <lug@???> wrote:
> > > And if Debian is anything to go by, I shall not be able to update
> > > the kernel
> > > simply; because I have only just installed, and it is already the
> > > newest currently in the relevant repos.
> >
> > *Generally speaking*, the kernel available from an installer is the
> > one on the CD, so you will likely get update available.
>
> If you did a net-install then the installer would look for a later
> kernel once the system is up and running and update if if necessary.
>
> Try doing 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade' and see what
> happens if you haven't already done this.
>
> Basically you don't upgrade the kernel yourself - the package manager
> does it as and when needed.
>
> On my system 3.2.0-4-amd64 was installed this morning when I did an
> aptitude safe-upgrade. I know that apt-get is once again the default
> for Debian but I've been using aptitude for years and don't feel any
> need to change.

Thanks, John, but it is the Fedora that is the problem. I was able to do the
Debian one without a problem. As you say, I used the net install disk, so
everything was bang up to date. I had to go to backports to be able to get a
newer kernel via apt.

The point I was making was that I expected the same to be true of Fedora, but
Vic says no, there might well be a newer kernel available.

Thanks,
Lisi