Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On 27/09/12 19:27, Gordon Scott wrote:
> How can I turn off transparency on the Dash?
>      I hate transparency at the best of times, but the Dash
>      seems particularly hard to read. Much of the time it's
>      hard to tell what's on the Dash and what's on the window behind it.

Install Compiz Config Settings Manager. Run it. Find the Unity plugin ->
Experimental -> Dash Blur -> None.

> Dash searches not really working?
>      One of the features I thought might be OK is the search box on the
>      Dash, but so often it just doesn't come up with anything useful,
>      sometimes even when I know it's there!
>      As an example, I _know_ wget is on this machine, but Dash doesn't
>      show it even if I type "wget". If there some feature or option I need
>      to get it to see stuff that exists?  wg<tab> in a terminal works OK.

For commands that don't have a desktop file (i.e. command line stuff)
use ALT+F2, not the Dash.

> How can I get stuff grouped in a context-related way?
>       In the recent past, as an example, I have a menu from the toolbar
>       with top-level headings like "Graphics", "Programming" and so on.
>       Right now I find nothing like that on Unity, but I feel sure there
> must
>       be a way .. dedicated lens or something?

Nope. There have been suggested designs, but nothing implemented.

> How to tidy the launcher?
>      I've minimized the of icons on the launcher so I can see a fair
>      percentage of them, but I'd like to remove most of the clutter.
>      It's too full even before I open any applications.
>      That's compounded somewhat, also, by the tooltip hovers vanishing
>      after scanning just a couple of icons, and at present many icons
> are unfamiliar.

Right click, unlock from launcher.

> Can I set up so that I can type in a background window whilst watching
>            the results in a foreground window?
>      I use that a a lot for testing, but can't presently see any way
> that it's possible
>      with Unity.

"Focus follows mouse" as it's called.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/64605/how-do-i-set-focus-follows-mouse