Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On 28/09/2012 10:05, Simon Reap wrote:
> On 27/09/12 19:27, Gordon Scott wrote:
>> How can I get stuff grouped in a context-related way?
>>      In the recent past, as an example, I have a menu from the toolbar
>>      with top-level headings like "Graphics", "Programming" and so on.
>>      Right now I find nothing like that on Unity, but I feel sure
>> there must
>>      be a way .. dedicated lens or something?
> I did this by installing cairo-dock - it's a bit of overkill, since I
> don't use any of the application icons, but I do use the menu icon at
> the left-hand side to find context-based items.  This is handy if you
> don't know which music programs or games, for example, are installed
> on the machine - you don't really mind which they are, you just want
> the installed one(s).

Hi Simon,

I've just been looking around the glx-dock/cairo-dock website.

My initial impression wasn't too good, but exploring shows there's more
promise.

I note particularly that it has sub-docks, which sounds like what I
want/need.
The manic animations are a turn-off for me, but it sounds like I may be
able to stop those.
I may well give it a try, though part of this was to try and tolerate
Unity as it's Ubuntu's default environment.
An awful lot of people seem to dislike Unity, though, so it may just
fade away.

Gordon.