Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini [SOLVED]

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini [SOLVED]
On 19/09/12 12:23, Sean Gibbins wrote:

> Question: I am not particularly concerned about keeping OS X on this
> machine, so if I proceed to install Ubuntu does it know what to do
> with regard to setting up yaboot or whatever mechanism it is that will
> allow it to boot back into Ubuntu afterwards, or do I need to manually
> configure some aspect of it myself?

Answer: yes!

However, Ubuntu 12.04 wouldn't play nice with the usb wifi card. Then, I
came to investigate that issue, I discovered that sudo was broken (type
sudo -s at a terminal and it just sits there doing nothing for as long
as you'd care to wait), so I decided to look elsewhere for my quick 'n'
dirty media box solution rather than faff around fixing that. Also, I
figured that it might be a bit heavy and a lighter solution might be
better given that I only have 512Mb RAM

I thought I'd try installing Debian 6 for PowerPC next and was surprised
to find myself at the command line a short while later.

That was not quite what I was expecting or indeed hoping for, so I
dumped that in favour of Xubuntu 10.04 PowerPC, and that installed
perfectly, recognised the wifi card and has a GUI! ;-)

It's currently pulling in a load of updates, after which I will install
XBMC and test that out before handing it over to Ellie.

To summarise, it would seem that the solution to the issue I initially
highlighted to the list were as follows:
1. Rewrite the ISO to a DVD as opposed to a CD, on the basis that the
inability to boot from a CD can be the first sign of a failing optical
drive.
2. Use a branded, wired usb keyboard and mouse for the install (the
Logitech wireless set and no-name wired USB efforts wouldn't cut it
initially), then swap to the wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse when
the install is complete.

Thanks for all of the input - I would have struggled and probably given
up without it! And, even if I had persevered, I doubt I would have got
there before Saturday, so Ellen thanks you too!

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk