Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini [SOLVED]
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini
On 19/09/12 11:50, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> On 18/09/12 22:40, Martin N wrote:
>> Mac mini G4 have optical drives seem to lose their cd reading booting
>> abilities before the DVD
>> goes.
>> If you can burn a cd ISO on to a dvd you may have more luck.
>
> I may indeed Martin!
>
> I've just booted into the Debian PPC disc using this advice, now to
> try Ubuntu...

So, the Ubuntu Live CD (DVD actually...) is up and running - just - in
the 512Mb RAM I have on this machine.

Question: I am not particularly concerned about keeping OS X on this
machine, so if I proceed to install Ubuntu does it know what to do with
regard to setting up yaboot or whatever mechanism it is that will allow
it to boot back into Ubuntu afterwards, or do I need to manually
configure some aspect of it myself?

Oh, I should probably add that it was the combination of the ISO image
burned to DVD plus a wired Logitech USB keyboard that eventually got me in.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk