Re: [Hampshire] Correction - was:Re: [OT] Southampton Hacker…

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Correction - was:Re: [OT] Southampton Hackerspace Survey
On 09/09/2012 23:22, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 09/09/12 19:50, Benjie Gillam wrote:
>> I didn't think it was appropriate to
>> promote SoutHACKton on the HantsLUG mailing list previously for fear of
>> being spammy - it is a Linux User Group and not a hardware hacker group
>> after all :)
>>

> There's a very significant crossover between Linux nerds and hacking nerds (in my opinion). I wish there were more notifications about related groups on this (and other LUG lists).

I agree - at one surrey/hants bring a box meet there were (IIRC) four or so repraps attending
which got more LUG members interested in building their own!

> I hadn't heard of Southackton until Mark & Tony mentioned it and we talked about it on the podcast.

Same here!

I know there is an massive overhead in starting and running a hackspace but perhaps there is a way
to get the members of both groups to fund a common space somewhere - or is the area (travelling
distances) just too big/wide?

One thing suggested and dropped as unfeasable was the idea of a mobile hackspace. Too limited,
no three phase, insurance, problems with long term parking, high cost of fuel, who drives it etc.
Personally I think the idea is seriously cool even if unfeasable outside the scottish highlands.

Jacqui

p.s. I already have my own personal hackspace(s) - in my garden :-)