Re: [Hampshire] RDP from Debian to Windows 7 with dual monit…

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] RDP from Debian to Windows 7 with dual monitors?

> Hi Imran,
>
> With version 7 or 7.1 multi monitor support (/multimon) was introduced,
> however it requires both the client and the server to support it, Win 7
> is fine but I suspect Remmima is only a V6 client.
>
> I was trying to get another feature introduced with V7 (bi-directional
> audio) working from home without much joy.
>
> The other problem you will have, as you have discovered, is that Win 7
> will only allow one active connection at a time due to licence
> restrictions, I have mess about with some hacks that change this, but it
> required me download some third party modified windows files., which I
> wouldn't recommend on a production system.
>
> Have you thought about VNC, I find it generally isn't as responsive on a
> WAN but you can tell it which screen to show. I think this would you to
> do what you want.
>
> Sorry it doesn't answer you problem, but hopefully enough you give you
> some ideas.

Thanks for that Peter, I have installed VNC and will give it a try tonight.
I have the free version but thats OK as I am using the VPN to handle
encryption and basic password is fine as long as it's strong.

In my previous Googling I did see mention of the patch to Windows but it
seemed a bit dodgy and I'm pretty sure the malware scanners will flag it as
a PUP.

Out of curioisity could you let me know which hack you tried though? The
one I saw was http://www.techspot.com/news/46927-story-page-2.html and from
the comments I was dubious if it would work and also if it was XP-only.
Even then I don't think it wise for me to trust applying closed-source
binaries from $random_internet_guy !

Thanks!

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F
http://about.me/imranchaudhry