[Hampshire] RDP from Debian to Windows 7 with dual monitors?

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] RDP from Debian to Windows 7 with dual monitors?
I sometimes work from home and use RDP using Remmima from Debian Squeeze to
connect to my Windows 7 desktop at the office over the VPN. The trouble is
the my Win 7 desktop is dual-monitor and I have the secondary display taken
up with a Virtualbox VM running Debian in full-screen mode. When I RDP in
everything is "flattened" to one monitor (or one display).

What this means is that I can only view one "monitor" at a time from home
but I want to be able to switch between the two remote monitors easily. I
thought about opening two RDP sessions and keeping each in it's own tab on
the Remimma side. If I try and open another RDP session then as soon as I
login to the Win7 box the existing session closes.

How can I easily get at both monitors via RDP with this arrangement? It
seems there is this capability in the Windows RDP client but I could not
see anything for Linux like this.

I thought about enabling the Virtualbox VM remote display capability and
then point different RDP sessions to the host and guest but have the same
problem with the existing session being logged out.

Right now it's a pain having to switch between "monitors", if I am in the
remote Debian VM what I have to do is:

- ctrl + f to get out of fullscreen
- minimize vm from virtualbox toolbar
- I now see windows desktop
- to get back to Debian desktop I click on virtual box task in the bottom
panel.

Thanks

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F
http://about.me/imranchaudhry