Re: [Hampshire] Spinning rust

Author: Steve
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Spinning rust
Afternoon,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:33:55PM +0100, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> ".....a SATA drive in the 1 TB size that will last longer than 30
> seconds and costs less than a fortune? "
>
> I share your pain...
>
> Chris

As do I, I've been hanging around waiting for the prices to drop to what
they were 12 - 18 months ago and finally given up waiting.

> On 18/07/2012, Dr A. J. Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a pair of Samsung Spinpoint 0.5 TB drives in a mirrored pair in my
> > home
> > server. One of them is now producing:
> >
> > smartd[..]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 38 Currently unreadable (pending)
> > sectors
> >
> > warnings. The SMART health of the drive is good, but I understand that this
> >
> > means next time these sectors are written to it will be remapped to spare
> > sectors.
> >
> > This isn't fatal as long as the rate of growth remains low but I gather now
> > is
> > a good time to get a new drive. I have a spare low mileage Spinpoint of the
> >
> > same size I can swap into the array but I would like to replace the spare
> > with
> > something else.
> >
> > BTW, I have good backups of my data...!
> >
> > Any suggestions for a SATA drive in the 1 TB size that will last longer than
> >
> > 30 seconds and costs less than a fortune? Since all the smaller drive firms
> >
> > got gobbled up I've only got Seagate and Western Digital to choose from as
> > far
> > as I can tell.

I'd suggest that you forget about 1TB drives and just go with 2TB at
this stage.

I've just ordered a couple of Samsung 2TB drives yesterday and they seem
to have the best price to capcity. The 2TB variety was only about 20
quid more than 1TB. The drives I bought were also recommended by someone
who has been using them in his home server for the last year with no
issues so far. Specifically Samsung F4 ecogreen 2TB. These green drives
don't spin down like the WD and have been fine in his zfs raid setup. :)

> > Other than Novatech any other local firms to look at to buy disks from?

Sorry, can't help there. I bought mine from Amazon.

Cheers,
Steve
--
Hosted by the SDF Public Access UNIX System - est. 1987
== http://sdf.org/ ==