[Hampshire] Spinning rust

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Spinning rust

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58242100.hantslug.org.uk.17329': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jul 18 22:56:45 2012 BST
gpg: using RSA key 9CDA8911AF0DB8C8
Hi,

I have a pair of Samsung Spinpoint 0.5 TB drives in a mirrored pair in my home
server. One of them is now producing:

smartd[..]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 38 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

warnings. The SMART health of the drive is good, but I understand that this
means next time these sectors are written to it will be remapped to spare
sectors.

This isn't fatal as long as the rate of growth remains low but I gather now is
a good time to get a new drive. I have a spare low mileage Spinpoint of the
same size I can swap into the array but I would like to replace the spare with
something else.

BTW, I have good backups of my data...!

Any suggestions for a SATA drive in the 1 TB size that will last longer than
30 seconds and costs less than a fortune? Since all the smaller drive firms
got gobbled up I've only got Seagate and Western Digital to choose from as far
as I can tell.

Other than Novatech any other local firms to look at to buy disks from?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Like dreams, statistics are a form of wish fulfilment.
    -- Jean Baudrillard