Re: [Hampshire] Spinning rust

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Spinning rust
On Friday 20 Jul 2012, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> > BTW, I have good backups of my data...!
>
> This.
>
> Also, what I've learnt recently is to periodically archive your backup -
> either to another HDD or to some other media.

That's what I do.

> I recently had some bad luck whereby my backup USB HDD developed a fault
> (or a software bug triggered a fault?) and consequently had some filesystem
> corruption. This was the only copy of the backup data I had. I managed to
> recover the data by attempting to repair the filesystem (ext4) using fsck
> which put the data in lost+found. The only snag was that all the (thousands
> of) directory names (about 10 years of accumulated data) have been replaced
> by their inode numbers. This was down to the corruption being related to
> "multiply claimed inode blocks" or some such.
>
> The trigger point seemed to be a manual rsync operation concerning a USB
> HDD that overlapped an daily rsnapshot run (also rsync) to another USB HDD.
> It's made me a bit leery about keeping my i/o ops on USB HDD devices rather
> simple in future.

My rsnaphot scripts use the same lock file so they couldn't do that.

> BTW, how much is expensive? I recently bought a new 2T WD Caviar Green from
> an eBay trader for £75 inc postage.

18 months ago disk were half the price they are now and came with 3 or 5 year
warranties. By historic standard they are cheap but relative to recent memory
and SSDs they are starting to look expensive.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
    -- anon