Re: [Hampshire] Management of multiple gnome-terminal window…

Author: Anthony
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Management of multiple gnome-terminal windows?
> From: Imran Chaudhry <ichaudhry@???>
> Subject: [Hampshire] Management of multiple gnome-terminal windows?
> To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List <hampshire@???>

> So there's a fair few coders and sysadmins among us here. What do you do
> manage multiple terminal windows open on a Gnome desktop?
>
> I use Debian Squeeze with Gnome 2.x and often have ~10 gnome-terminal
> windows open. About half will be running vim, the rest will be normal
> shell
> or ssh sessions.
>
> What I am after is some way to intelligently group them on the
> gnome-panel
> or elsewhere.

Another vote here for virtual desktops: 10 are still manageable. I kick
off edits with a script that ends in

exec gnome-terminal --geometry=80x64 -t "$basenames" -x /usr/bin/emacs
"$@" &

so that gnome can list the files edited in that session in the panel's
window list or with Alt-tab. Once you've learnt your editor's
sub-window management, shelling out gives the effect of a desktop within
a single window if you ever need it.

Setting up function keys for both gnome and editor window management is
worthwhile, and I prefer to group things according to the topic I'm
working on rather than by whether the terminal is running an edit or
ssh.

Anthony