Re: [Hampshire] Management of multiple gnome-terminal window…

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Management of multiple gnome-terminal windows?
On 12 July 2012 20:34, Imran Chaudhry <ichaudhry@???> wrote:
> Thanks Tony, I forgot about Terminator and will look again.
>
> Another idea could be to use virtual desktops with one desktop for each
> terminal group.
>
> I have a feeling that tiling window managers will also accomplish what I
> want but this may be overkill for me. I am curious about them though - does
> anyone here run XMonad or Awesome and have configured them to place their
> terminal windows for efficiency?

Give awesome a go. It is easy to install on Ubuntu, and can be
selected at the log in screen. I am sure it will be just as simple in
Debian.

I don't have lots of terminals open but it should work as you expect.
The config is done in Lua, which I have found easier to understand
than the Haskel config of Xmonad.

QTile would be great, but did not seem as stable as Awesome.

If you do decide to give Awesome a go, be prepared to give it a fair
crack. It is quite different to Gnome, and there are a number of
keyboard short-cuts that will need to be learnt to be useful.

--
Philip Stubbs