Re: [Hampshire] rsync Problem

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] rsync Problem
Hi,

"Chris. Aubrey-Smith" <cas194@???> wrote:

>Hi, all! Can anyone help?
>

>I'm now trying to use rsync, but every variation on the command
>provokes the same response:
>
>ssh: connect to host S50 port 22: Connection refused
>rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
>[sender]
>rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
>
>If I try from 'the other end' it's exactly the same.
>
>Unfamiliar territory for me: what am I missing?

Are these machines on the same network or its this going over the public internet or a corporate LAN please?

Are there any firewalls or routers in the way? Are the machines running the same distro and what is in the iptables rules please?

If you go on the machine and try to ssh into itself with ssh 127.0.0.1 Does it work?

Have you made sure that sshd is running and hasn't been disabled? What's in its .conf file? Has it been moved to a different port number for security? Does a netstat show the port as open? Is there anything in dmesg or /var/log/messages about it starting or failing to? Does any complaint get written in either of these places when your connection gets refused? If you have multiple network interfaces in the machine, is it bound to the right one with the correct IP address?

Is the SSH authentication method you want to use enabled in the SSH Config? If you are using keys, have you added the correct key to the right user's authorized keys file?

If sshd isn't permanently running, is inetd or xinetd set up to start it when someone hits port 22?

Cheers,
Paul.