Re: [Hampshire] rsync Problem

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] rsync Problem
Hello Chris,

Please share with us the full commandline, if you don't mind. Also, please
share your rsyncd.conf file contents (if you have one).

I have stumbled across this behaviour when I leave out something in the
normal commandline. For instance:

rsync -[options] [sourcehost::directory/subdirectory] [destination]

A practical (but maybe overly simplistic) example-

Pull from server:
rsync -avzP server::sharename/ /localdir

Push to server:
rsync -avzP /localdir server::sharename/

The rsyncd.conf file on the server could look somewhat like this:

---start---
max connections = 2
log file = /var/log/rsync.log
timeout = 300

[sharename]
comment = Public Share
path = /home/share
read only = no
list = yes
uid = nobody
gid = nogroup
---end---

Hope this helps somewhat, please let me know how it went.

On Fri, June 29, 2012 16:37, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> Hi, all! Can anyone help?
>

> I've been in the habit of synchronising files on two machines either
> via NAS or occasionally by sneakernet with a Zip disc.
>
> I'm now trying to use rsync, but every variation on the command
> provokes the same response:
>
> ssh: connect to host S50 port 22: Connection refused
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
>
> If I try from 'the other end' it's exactly the same.
>

> Unfamiliar territory for me: what am I missing?
>

> Chris
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Regards,