Re: [Hampshire] More on DVD Ripping

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] More on DVD Ripping
On 7 May 2012 11:59, Rob Malpass <linux@???> wrote:
> Hi all
>

> I think I'm making some progress but need the advice of those who know
> more.   To recap - it's around 200 home made (full DVD+RW) disks I'm trying
> to rip to PC.   I was getting all sorts of problems with the finished output
> from handbrake being weird - snowstorms, wavy, blocky etc.   I now seem to
> have a working method but need to check one thing...
>

> I have a program which is seemingly copying the vob files off the disk and
> getting them onto my hd.   I then use another to encode those copied vobs
> into avi.   Both are Windows programs I'm afraid but I did do extensive
> testing using Handbrake for Linux.
>

> The resulting avi is, in the tests I've done, fine.   My question is - is
> the copied vob file all that I need in terms of content?   I notice several
> other smaller files on the DVD which I'm not copying but I'm assuming these
> are the placeholders and menus etc such that the actual content is the vob
> file - is this right?

If they are home made movies in DVD format.
The video files are kept in the /VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD.
If they are your own DVDs, I would just use "dd" to copy an entire
image of the DVD to the HD.
You can then play the image with xine or mplayer or whatever your
prefered media player is.

There are three file types on the DVD /VIDEO_TS folder.
1) .IFO <- This is the information and index file for the .VOB
2) .BUP <- This is a backup of the .IFO file, so will be identical
to the .ifo.
3) .VOB <- This has the video picture and sound information,
accessible by using the .IFO file to play it.

So, if I was you I would do one of these things.
1) dd copy the entire DVD image. <- I would prefer this option. I
have written a dvd_archive tool to do this.
2) copy the entire /VIDEO_TS folder.
3) Use a data extraction tool to convert the .IFO/.VOB into a .MPG
file. E.g. Using playtitle (part of the test tools in libdvdread
source code)

Important note: Copying just the .VOB file, only works if the .IFO
index file happens to have all the VOBUs (Video object Units) in a
sequential order. This is not always the case, and results in error
blocks in the played back stream.