[Hampshire] More on DVD Ripping

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] More on DVD Ripping
Hi all

I think I'm making some progress but need the advice of those who know more.
To recap - it's around 200 home made (full DVD+RW) disks I'm trying to rip
to PC. I was getting all sorts of problems with the finished output from
handbrake being weird - snowstorms, wavy, blocky etc. I now seem to have a
working method but need to check one thing...

I have a program which is seemingly copying the vob files off the disk and
getting them onto my hd. I then use another to encode those copied vobs
into avi. Both are Windows programs I'm afraid but I did do extensive
testing using Handbrake for Linux.

The resulting avi is, in the tests I've done, fine. My question is - is
the copied vob file all that I need in terms of content? I notice several
other smaller files on the DVD which I'm not copying but I'm assuming these
are the placeholders and menus etc such that the actual content is the vob
file - is this right?

Cheers

Rob