Re: [Hampshire] DVD Ripping

Author: Stuart Sears
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD Ripping

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:55:48 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I think I asked something similar a few months back but please bear
> with
> me - as ever this is driving me mad...
>
> I want a simple program to turn a DVD into a video file - purely for
> personal use - need the space in the living room - I'm not doing

anything
> knowingly nefarious here. For the moment, let's not concentrate on
> which
> format and therefore which codec. For what should be not far short of
> simple job - I'm coming up against all sorts of weirdness trying to
> do

it
> either free or with Linux or both.
>
> I've tried k3b, which just hangs
>
> I've tried k9copy to produce an iso - which works but not sure what
> good
> that actually is - save for burning the iso back to optical media
> again
> as backup.
>
> I've tried dvd:rip which seems to work - until you play the avi back
> and
> you get the equivalent of an analogue TV picture which hasn't been
> quite
> tuned in well i.e. diagonal lines and crackled unintelligible sound.
>
> I must be missing something - and I'm getting to the stage where I'd
> happily pay for something that works. With umpteen DVDs and a smaller
> living room, need something quick (in every sense).
>
> Surely there must be a simple program out there to rip DVDs easily.
> Any
> ideas anyone?

I'd third (or fourth etc etc) Handbrake - works for me. Has many many
output options and can queue jobs to allow multiple episodes to be
ripped from the same disk in a batch (for example)

Alternatively, there's also ogmrip, which I like as well and used to
use when I was having issues with Handbrake (random segfaults a while
back)

Regards,

Stuart
--