[Hampshire] DVD Ripping

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] DVD Ripping
Hi all

I think I asked something similar a few months back but please bear with me
- as ever this is driving me mad...

I want a simple program to turn a DVD into a video file - purely for
personal use - need the space in the living room - I'm not doing anything
knowingly nefarious here. For the moment, let's not concentrate on which
format and therefore which codec. For what should be not far short of a
simple job - I'm coming up against all sorts of weirdness trying to do it
either free or with Linux or both.

I've tried k3b, which just hangs

I've tried k9copy to produce an iso - which works but not sure what good
that actually is - save for burning the iso back to optical media again as
backup.

I've tried dvd:rip which seems to work - until you play the avi back and you
get the equivalent of an analogue TV picture which hasn't been quite tuned
in well i.e. diagonal lines and crackled unintelligible sound.

I must be missing something - and I'm getting to the stage where I'd happily
pay for something that works. With umpteen DVDs and a smaller living room,
need something quick (in every sense).

Surely there must be a simple program out there to rip DVDs easily. Any
ideas anyone?

Cheers

Rob