Re: [Hampshire] DVD Ripping

Author: Steve Wesemeyer
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD Ripping
Hi Rob,

On 25/04/12 17:55, Rob Malpass wrote:

> I want a simple program to turn a DVD into a video file - purely for
> personal use - need the space in the living room - I'm not doing anything
> knowingly nefarious here. For the moment, let's not concentrate on which
> format and therefore which codec. For what should be not far short of a
> simple job - I'm coming up against all sorts of weirdness trying to do it
> either free or with Linux or both.
>

> Surely there must be a simple program out there to rip DVDs easily. Any
> ideas anyone?

Others have already recommended handbrake (+libdvdcss) which works most
of the time.

However, sometime you might find that handbrake can't quite cope with
the copy protection but vlc or mplayer can still play the DVD. In such
situations it might be a 2 step process:

First rip the DVD using vlc or mplayer:

http://wiki.videolan.org/Rip_DVD
or
http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=Mplayer&stable=0#Rip_DVD_to_raw_video

and then point handbrake at the file to reduce its size.

vlc has some transcoding capabilities but I have never had any success
with them (YMMV).

Cheers,
Steve