Re: [Hampshire] CLI XML diff (and patch?) tools?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CLI XML diff (and patch?) tools?

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, James Bensley wrote:

> Is there any reason you don't want to use the regular diff and patch apps?

Yes.

> Does it have to be something that is "XML aware" if you like?

I'm writing a "report script" which checks for differences in two XML
files and emails them to non-tech people. Just sending them a plain diff
of the files simply causes confusion because the don't understand XML.

These are config files and the differences will be minor, but providing a
textual diff won't tell them what has changed because the won't understand
it.

Andy